Easy to make golden, fluffy pancakes on the TVF cast iron dosa tava! Yes, you heard that right on the dosa tava.
What got me into the mood for pancakes is the small bee honey (known as Cheruthen in some parts) that I got from my recent trip to Coorg. Beautiful golden honey on fluffy golden pancakes – oh yes!
I can tell you with confidence that this is super easy to make because the inspiration hit me at midnight after a long tiring day at work, and you can empathize with me when I say I had no mood for long complicated recipes!
The key to the fluffiness is the whipped egg whites! Whip ‘em like you really mean business or risk gnawing on a flat, chewy mess.
But the real formula to get this pancake beautiful and golden and fluffy is – evenly distributed heat and a nice non-stick surface. What heats evenly and lends non-stickiness without the danger of harmful PFCs? A cast iron tava of course!
Now to the recipe
- Eggs – 2
- Flour (maida/wheat)– 50 gms
- Sugar – 2 tbsps
- Milk – to adjust consistency
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Separate the egg yolk from the whites.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites till they stand in stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, add sugar to the egg yolks and beat till well blended.
- Add the flour little bit at a time, adjusting the consistency with the milk. Do not make it too watery as the egg whites will also lend a bit of liquid when added.
- Add vanilla essence and beat well.
- Turn on the flame on low and pre-heat the tava. Make sure the flame is very low.
- Now fold in the egg whites into this mixture. Just fold in lightly; do not whip or stir too much.
- Add a little bit of butter to the tava and let it sizzle. Now ladle in the batter and wait till it forms small bubbles.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side too.
- Drizzle on some honey (which I did) or some maple syrup and enjoy.
Enjoy your delectable, golden, yummy pancakes and tell us how they turned out for you!
Here is the cast iron tava that I used to cook it; you can buy it from the TVF e-store now!