Recipe contributed by our valued customer Rehana Basheer.
Oottada or Mootayappam is a Kerala specialty that is so easy to make, you’ll find your self resorting to it every time you need a quick, healthy treat for your family. The best part is that it is a specialty that is at its best when made in a clay pan. And it gets better … it literally needs no oil!! Cant get any better could it?
Here’s the recipe:
- Cooked Rice – 1 cup
- All Purpose Flour-1 cup
- Hot water-1/4cup
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Baking Soda-2 pinch
- Grind cooked rice, and coconut milk in a blender till smooth.
- Add egg and flour and grind till well blended.
- Pour into a bowl and add salt. Mix in water until you get the consistency of dosa batter.
- Let this rest for 10 mins.
- After it has rested, pour a ladle of batter on to a Clay Roti tava. (You do not have to add oil)
- When you see bubbles on the batter, cover the tava.
- When the batter is cooked, take it off the tava. You don’t have to flip it.
- Repeat for the rest of the batter.
This recipe goes well with flavoured coconut milk.
- Heat oil in a cast iron kadai. Add chopped onions and fry till it starts browning.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk and 3 tbsp sugar.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Take off the stove and enjoy with your ootada!
You can buy your clay pan here: