Lazy Saturday morning. A day that you can slow down and take some time to cook your family a hot breakfast, without them rushing helter skelter! Here’s a classic south Indian recipe to indulge in – the Utthappam.
The toppings that go with it, makes this healthy and yummy to boot. We have used a few basic veggies but you can add the toppings that you like!
Straight on to the recipe now!
For the dosa
- Dosa rice – 2 cup
- Urad dal – ½ cup
- Methi seeds – 1 tbsp
- Channa dal – 2 tbsp
- Soak rice, dals, and methi seeds in water for at least 6 hours.
- Grind it and keep overnight.
- In the morning, add salt and baking powder, and a pinch of sugar.
For the toppings
- Onion– finely chopped
- Spring onions – finely chopped
- Carrot – grated
- Coriander– finely chopped
- Chilli– finely chopped
INSTRUCTIONS FOR UTTHAPPAM:
- Dip half an onion in oil and use it to smear the cast iron tava when it is hot.
- Pour the dosa batter and spread it evenly.
- Wait for a few bubbles to appear and then add the topping ingredients and press it lightly.
- Flip the dosa carefully when you feel it has browned enough.
- Flip it back and your uthappam is ready!!
This utthapam tastes great with groundnut chutney. Stay tuned to get the recipe!!
Get the dosa pan here: http://thevillagefair.in/product/cast-iron-dosa-pan/